A few products always make an appearance in great skincare routines. These products include sunscreen, retinol, and, you guessed it, vitamin C. The reasons to add this powerful antioxidant to your daily lineup are endless. Here are five benefits of using topical vitamin C products from science-backed professional brands like Obagi and SkinMedica®:
- Protects your skin from free radicals: Free radicals come from things like chemicals, pollution, and UV radiation. They cause damage to the skin and accelerate visible aging. Topical antioxidants such as vitamin C neutralize free radicals to protect healthy skin cells.
- Promotes collagen production: Collagen is a protein that helps give skin its structure. Unfortunately, our collagen levels sink over time, which contributes to lines and wrinkles. Vitamin C can increase collagen production because it plays a role in collagen synthesis.
- Fades hyperpigmentation: Dark spots have met their match. Vitamin C inhibits the production of melanin. It can improve the look of age spots, sun spots, and melasma. It even has a positive effect on stubborn post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation (PIH) triggered by acne.
- Evens out your skin tone: Vitamin C has anti-inflammatory properties. That means it can help soothe puffiness and redness. You will likely notice a more even complexion.
- Improves moisture retention: Dry skin can be a nuisance. Fortunately, some vitamin C derivatives that are commonly used in skincare products have been shown to help with skin hydration. They can minimize transepidermal water loss (TEWL) and have a positive effect on both moisture retention and skin barrier function. You’ve probably heard about TEWL if you’re paying attention to the skincare trend called slugging.
There are plenty of additional benefits that vitamin C has to offer. It’s safe for most skin types, might help soothe sunburns, and generally speeds up the wound healing process, too.
Save Big on Vitamin C Products This April
Take advantage of our monthly special and enjoy 20% off all vitamin C products from Obagi. Call us at 303-662-8668 to get matched with the right products for your skin’s unique needs. Park Meadows Aesthetics happily serves Denver, Lone Tree, and nearby areas of Colorado.